By now, you should be done with Black Friday Promotions as well as Cyber Monday, it’s time to plan for Green Monday.
Yes, that’s a real day during the month of December and it’s an important day for online sales. It was created by eBay in 2007 after it noticed a consistent spike in sales during the second Monday of December. Shoppers start getting worried about getting their orders on time for Christmas, so they just on this last opportunity on what it’s now called Green Monday.
In this post, I’m going to help you plan for Green Monday so you can drive traffic and sales during the holiday season.
Let’s get started!
When is Green Monday in 2019?
This year, Green Monday falls on Monday, December 9th, 2019.
When to Start Green Monday Promotions?
I usually recommend you start campaigns the day off but you can certainly kick off an early Green Monday sale during the weekend leading up to it. Avoid launching it earlier than 24-36 hours.
Where to Promote a Green Monday Sale
Here’s a list of digital channels you can use to help promote your sale Green Monday in order to drive traffic to your online store.
- Online Store (obviously)
- Facebook Page Post, Stories & Ads
- Instagram Post, Stories & Ads
- Display Ads (retargeting ads included)
- Search Ads (Google Ads)
- Affiliates, Cashback Sites and Coupons Networks
How to Plan Your Green Monday Marketing Campaigns
Here’s a simple list of things you need to do so you can plan a successful Green Monday for eCommerce.
- Start planning early (1-3 months prior)
- Decide on the promotion (discount amount, specific items on sale or Free Shipping on All Orders)
- Make sure you have enough inventory available
- Communicate details about the promotion with your team including customer service and shipping departments
- Assign tasks to team members to help plan promotion
- Setup up campaign in your shopping cart (coupon codes, pricing rules, start/end dates, number of uses, discount amount…)
- Prepare a landing page for your sale (include promotion details or items on sale)
- Choose digital channels where you will promote the sale (website, email, social, affiliates…)
- Plan advertising campaigns in your calendar so you know when and where to start promoting
- Plan all marketing campaigns on all channels so you know what content to prepare (banners, headlines, copy, captions, URLs)
- Prepare campaign content
- Make sure everything is tracked in Google Analytics
- Create and schedule all campaigns
- Test, test, test!
- Launch and enjoy the sales!
Early Green Monday Ideas
If you’re thinking about starting your Green Monday sale ahead of Monday, here are a couple of ideas on how to name and design your promotion:
Green Monday Promotion Ideas for eCommerce
Now that you know what it takes to plan a successful Green Monday campaign, decide on what type of promotion should you go with.
Here’s a list of ideas you can try:
1. Offer a discount % or $ (sitewide, specific categories or specific products)
2. Offer an extra discount on already discounted items
2. Offer a discount with minimum purchase amounts (Save 35% on orders over $100)
3. Offer a gift with purchase
4. Offer free shipping on all orders
Green Monday Email Design Ideas
If you’re looking for some inspiration designing your email campaign for your online store, this should help:
I hope this post has given you many ideas on how to plan for a successful Green Monday. If you need eye-catching Green Monday emails subject lines or want to learn more about how you can plan your email campaigns, take a look at our Email Marketing Planner.